- The arrival of Jesus and Disciples
- Jesus coming closer (away from the other disciples) to pray
- Jesus praying
- The disciples asleep
- The arrival of the soldiers to arrest Jesus
- The arrest and subsequent scuffle
- The disciples running away
- The departure of the soldiers
- (later) The rooster crowing as dawn comes.
|Gethsemane - backdrop and branches|
The real Garden of Gethsemane would have been very dark at night, with no artificial lighting. So the set only needs enough light to ensure that people can get in and out of the room safely, and to support the cues in the sound track. To provide the ambient light, we used a 35mm slide projector to project a moon onto the wall of the room. The reflected light from this (zoomed relatively small) provided enough illumination to let people see in, but no more.
|Gethsemane - moon|
The video below gives a flavour of what the resulting scene was like (shot after a run with no people around – normally the floor would have been full of the audience sitting listening). Thanks to Robert Pettigrew for taking the video for us.
|Gethsemane - dawn lighting cue|